There’s something magical about the glow of a late afternoon.
The low light before sunset is my favorite time of day, and it’s also one that lasts the shortest.
Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.
Speaking of change, it’s a new year, and I’m sharing a new look that I’ve been dawning lately.
New year, different look, same awkward me.
I like the simplicity in this because, to me, gold can be overdone. Anything that’s big and gold already makes a statement, so I like wearing this look with a clean white top for a white + gold color scheme, which I think is very chic.
In essence, this is a minimalist look with touches of gold to help you shine and glow. Everything from the clothing to the make up is all very simple to emphasize the glitter and gold. This is a style that I would dawn on to parties and celebrations like New Year’s Eve, weddings, and birthdays.
Speaking of birthdays, mine is in a couple weeks, and I’m already feeling that “24”K magic. 🥂
It’s going to be a very special birthday for me this year.
I’m calling it my “Gold Birthday” because (1) I’m turning 24, and I personally am alluding that to 24K gold, (2) my birthday this year is a couple days after Chinese New Year, and (3) this birthday will be my second “Golden Year,” meaning that it’s the zodiac cycle that I was born in: the Year of the Rooster. The gist of it is, 2017 is supposed to bring me lots good fortune and wealth. 🙏
Culturally, Chinese people love good fortune and wealth, and Chinese New Year is basically all about setting yourself up for that. I personally think that the truths within these superstitions is irrelevant. The way I see it, it is like Santa Claus on Christmas. We all know the truth about Santa, but it’s uplifting and fun to have the spirit of belief.
Anyways, I’ve always been drawn to the color gold, and I aesthetically prefer gold over silver. Even more so lately, I have been loving gold because of the New Year, Chinese New Year, and my 24th “Gold” Birthday coming up. For sure, I’ll be wearing this look again soon. For Chinese New Year, I’ll add a pop of Red the symbolize the good fortune and keep the Gold to get the wealth. 😉
Get my look below. I explain the details of my minimal gold make up look and also link: the gold choker, cuff earrings (only $3), custom initial bracelet (only $12), my gold make up & nails, the white off-shoulder top, and more. ⤵
The make up I wore for this look is very minimal.
- I don’t wear foundation, so I just applied a little bit of gold eyeshadow (yes eyeshadow!) to my cheekbone area for some highlighter effect and my favorite blush to the apple of my cheeks for some color.
- I lined my eyes with liquid gold eyeliner, which really is what inspired me to put this look together.
- I also did actually use gold eyeshadow on my eyelids (lol), but I used it on my brow bone and not on my direct eye lids.
- I curled my lashes and didn’t apply mascara. I hate mascara lol.
- For my lips, I used my absolute favorite red-tinted lip balm and added a touch of gold eyeshadow to my cupid’s bow.
Now, I say this is a new look I’m wearing for 2017, but it’s mostly only the ballerina bun that I’ve been wearing a lot. It started on the first day of 2017, when I tried out a new style and put my hair into what’s called a “donut bun” for the first time. Since then, I’ve been wearing my hair like this almost every day when I work out.
- So for hair, all I did was put it in a ballerina bun. It looks complicated, but it actually incredibly simply, and, with practice, it not only takes me <1 minutes to throw my hair into this bun. If you want a tutorial on how I make this bun, just let me know in the comments below or on Instagram!
Clothing & Accessories
- I actually got my white off-shoulder shirt from Tobi.com this past summer, but apparently it’s sold out! Luckily, I found one very similar, linked below.
Make Up & Nails
- This looks features all gold products: gold eye liner, gold cream shadow, and different shades of gold nail polish.
- I also share my absolute favorite tinted lip balm and blush. I’ve been using this lip color and blush for over 5 years now!
- Remember to read above to know how I used these products!
Hope you like this look, give it a try, and let me know if you do!
Share your look with me on Instagram @vivianrtang.
Cheers to 2017, to Chinese New Year, and to the dozens more celebrations to come! 🥂